Assistant to the Executive Director
• Non-exempt, full-time salaried position with full benefit package
• Monday-Friday, 10:00am – 6:00pm with occasional ability to stay late as needed
• Reports to Executive Director
Assist the Executive Director (E.D.) in all aspects of the management of the theater. Provide general administrative support as needed within the organization.
• Handle all Administrative needs of E.D. with confidentiality as needed
• Maintain and update contacts and calendar for E.D. in Outlook;
• includes handling all RSVP’s, keeping track of weekly meetings, setting up meetings upon request, making meeting and dinner reservations, recording due dates, adding all Joyce events to the E.D.’s calendar and keeping performance opportunities organized.
• Review all incoming mail to the E.D. and skim through publications for relevant articles.
• Manage and maintain E.D. To-Do List ensuring items are completed in a timely manner.
• Organize, prioritize and appropriately handle time-sensitive, confidential information and ensure action required is addressed in a timely manner
• Research, write drafts and/or follow up on E.D.’s special projects
• Draft and/or proof the E.D.’s weekly e-memo to the Board, including preparing and scanning all necessary attachments, ie newspaper articles.
• Liaison between busy E.D. and other departments, be resourceful in building relationships across the larger Joyce ecosystem.
• Post weekly program information, run times,postcards and production calendar
• Keep E.D. desk and office as organized and manageable as possible.
• Update the filing system.
• Handle all travel arrangements for the E.D.; car, hotels, air and reservations (performances, restaurants, etc.)
• Compile all E.D. business and travel receipts and create monthly expense reports to be submitted to the Finance department.
• Manage email, documents and phone calls; keeping track of messages.
• Handle all business correspondence for E.D.; write letters or drafts upon request.
• Participate and lead the Staff Meeting Agenda Committee to best prepare and communicate to the organization for Monthly Staff Meetings.
• Compile information to be circulated to all staff on a timely basis; including weekly staff notes email.
• Cater food for meetings as needed.
• Purchase gifts, food, flowers, etc. that E.D. gives as gifts to staff, VIP’s, visiting companies, etc.
• Circulate cards for special occasions and guests.
• Arrange the Holiday party and Staff Anniversary parties. Take care of any cards, gifts and/or food that accompany these celebrations.
• Assist other departments as needed when time permits.
• Fluency with Microsoft Office Suite, PC computer operating programs and Adobe Acrobat
• Must be able to manage all tasks with discretion keep information confidential
• High sensitivity to organization and detail
• Excellent follow through
• Willingness to take on new challenges, projects and responsibilities
• Ability to creatively problem-solve
• Flexible in adapting to changing timelines and priorities
• Able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities
• Knowledge and strong interest in the dance industry
Please send a cover letter detailing how the candidates’ experience meets or exceeds the position requirements identified above, along with a resume and reference to: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: Assistant to the Executive Director Search. No phone calls or solicitations please. Due to the volume of applications anticipated, only those candidates that most directly meet the requirements of the position will be contacted.
Click here for a pdf of this job description.
The Joyce Theater Foundation actively seeks highly motivated high school and college students interested in learning the about the behind-the-scene operations of one of the only theaters built by dancers for dance. The Joyce’s invaluable commitment to artists and audiences extends to cultivating the next generation of arts administrators, marketers, managers, and educators in the field. College and graduate level students enrolled in a degree/certificate/diploma granting program are eligible for the unpaid internship and interested in placement for 2020, should contact Heather McCartney, Director of School & Family Programs at: email@example.com with a cover letter stating your area of interest (Education, Development, Marketing, or Programming) along with your résumé and hours of availability.
If you’d like to volunteer as an usher, please call 646-792-8355.